This is the first of a series of decade theme muffin tins on the agenda this year. I'll be totally honest. I thought this would be a super fun theme to work on, way back when I was brainstorming theme ideas. But when it actually came time to think up what would actually go in the 50's themed muffin tin meal, well, I was kinda stumped! After scratching my brain all week this is what I came up with:
In the front row:
- a nod to the 50's era Soda Shops with wax candy soda bottles
- a poodle skirt, an iconic staple of the decade! (bologna and jack cheese)
- stack of records (black bean chips with jack cheese label)
The back row:
- jukebox tunes (strawberries with music notes bento picks)
- Elvis eats (peanut butter and banana sandwich)
- sock hop dance party (more music notes picks, on kiwi fruit pieces)
The poodle skirt was cut using a dress-shaped cookie cutter I bought years ago in a cute set from Williams-Sonoma. That set is long since retired, but this one is similar. The deformed poodle was made using a variety of itty bitty mini bento cutters I have collected over the years.
This muffin tin meal was devoured by Paige. She was especially happy about the poodle skirt. Not only is she a little clothes horse, but a couple months ago the Kindergarten celebrated their 50th day of school by having a 50's day. The kids dressed like it was the 50s and they even had their own sock hop party in the gym. She had fun remembering that day as she munched her way across this tin.
I made Paige's 50s Day outfit. The skirt was my first ever sewing project. I made the doggie on the skirt a dachshund instead of a poodle, since we are a dachshund family. :) I had joked on Instagram that I hoped it wouldn't fall apart at the seams, and as it turned out, it did. Haha! The skirt totally fell down to the ground during the sock hop and it was falling apart by the time she got home. Whoops!
Supplies used to make this muffin tin meal:
A few Muffin Tin Monday reminders:
- please link back to this post
- the MTM button is available in the left margin, at the bottom, just below the regular Another Lunch buttons if you'd like to use it :)
- Everything you might be wondering about Muffin Tin Monday, including the schedule for upcoming themes is posted on the Muffin Tin Monday information page.