This was lunch for my 3-year-old daughter today. I wanted to avoid a sandwich since my hubby and I have the rare luxury of free childcare this evening (dinner alone! woohoo!) and I'll be packing her a sandwich to take with her tonight. So lunch this afternoon is a kinda-sorta deconstructed pasta salad.
- mini-sized wagon wheel pasta mixed with a small amount of Italian dressing
- bird-shaped cheddar cheese (Paige called them "bathtub ducks") ;-)
- leftover sausage of some kind leftover from grilling the other night
- organic strawberries(daughter likes to eat them whole sometimes)
- cucumber slices cut into flower shapes with small cutter
This preschool bento is packed in a Sassy box, using only one of the smaller inner dishes for the sausage. The sausage was cut into chunks and threaded on little picks.
As I've said before, I prefer to make pasta ahead of time and keep in the fridge for quick meals. This pasta salad is just as quick to toss together as making a sandwich would be, just add some dressing and it's ready. Wagon-wheel pasta is what I use most often since it is easier for Paige to get on her fork and easier for Tyler (my 15 month old "baby") to chew. :)